Elliott & Company, winner of the CGTA's 2005 Retailer of the Year Award, share some tips to help retailers excel in customer service:
- Greet every customer with a genuine smile when they enter
- Make it personal. Get to know your client's names, likes, and dislikes.
- Give your customers the freedom to explore. Don't smother them the second they get in the store. Let the customer discover unique products without feeling hassled.
- Focus on introducing and informing the customer on new products, rather than selling.
- Wrap absolutely everything for free.
- Accept returns for refund or credit with grace.
- Offer free local delivery of all oversize merchandise.
- Find ways to thank your clients for shopping with you. Offer extra services like customized gift baskets, or offer home consultation for a fee, then waive the fee with a minimum purchase.
First opened in 1987 by Mark and Krys Elliott, professional working artists, Elliott & Company is based in St. Catherines, Ontario.